Corned beef and cabbage is a classic Irish dish that has become a favorite in many households worldwide, especially during St. Patrick’s Day. This hearty and flavorful meal is made with corned beef, a flavorful cut of beef that has been cured with salt, and cabbage, a versatile vegetable that adds a sweet and earthy flavor to the dish. With a few simple ingredients and easy-to-follow directions, you can whip up this dish in no time and impress your family and friends with your cooking skills.
- 3-4 pounds of corned beef brisket
- 1 head of cabbage, chopped
- 5-6 carrots, chopped
- 3-4 potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon of black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- Rinse the corned beef brisket and place it in a large pot.
- Add enough water to cover the beef, along with the black peppercorns and bay leaves.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and let it simmer for about 2-3 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Add the chopped cabbage, carrots, potatoes, onion, and garlic to the pot.
- Bring it to a boil again, then reduce the heat and let it simmer for another 30-45 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Remove the beef from the pot and let it rest for a few minutes before slicing.
How to prepare:
Start by preparing all the ingredients. Rinse the corned beef brisket, chop the cabbage, carrots, potatoes, and onion. Mince the garlic. In a large pot, add the beef, black peppercorns, and bay leaves, and enough water to cover the beef. Bring it to a boil, then let it simmer for 2-3 hours or until the beef is tender. Add the chopped vegetables to the pot and simmer for another 30-45 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Remove the beef from the pot and let it rest for a few minutes before slicing. Serve the sliced beef with the vegetables on the side.
The total preparation time for this corned beef and cabbage recipe is approximately 3.5 – 4 hours, including 2-3 hours of cooking time and 30-45 minutes of simmering time.
This recipe serves 6-8 people, depending on the size of the corned beef brisket and the amount of vegetables used.
Q: Can I use a slow cooker for this recipe?
A: Yes, you can use a slow cooker for this recipe. Follow the same directions, but cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-5 hours.
Q: What type of cabbage should I use?
A: You can use any type of cabbage, but green cabbage is the most commonly used.
Q: Can I add other vegetables?
A: Yes, you can add other vegetables such as turnips or parsnips.
Q: Do I need to rinse the beef before cooking?
A: Yes, it is recommended to rinse the beef to remove excess salt.
Q: Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
A: Yes, you can make this recipe ahead of time and reheat it when ready to serve